87th Street Station on South Chicago Branch that served steel and related industrial workers in "The Bush" neighborhood. This line still operates, although with considerably less frequent service. The view was obviously taken from the front of another train approaching the platform.
An eight car train is shown here heading southbound on track one past the suburban storage yard located between Roosevelt Road and 18th Street. The yard is still very much in use by Metra today.
IC suburban equipment arriving at South Shore Line's Michigan City shops station. While details are vague, it appears that this equipment was borrowed by the South Shore during and immediately following World War II due to equipment shortages. Note that the roll sign says "Michigan City Express".
Experimental paint scheme to provide a more modern look to the 1926 car fleet. It was not used. The car was painted back to solid Pullman green, although deco type style was not changed.
A rush hour eight car train running extra between Harvey and Hazelcrest in the later years for the heavy weight 1926 years. The unattractive orange paint was applied after the severe 27th Street rear-end collision.
Between Harvey and Hazel Crest, the electric trains had a pretty good stretch to build up speed. Here is a southbound train adjacent to Park Avenue.
Rare view of IC suburban equipment operating off it's turf on the South Shore Line on May 24, 1958. This is obviously a extra move fantrip, probably operated by the Central Electric Railfans Assoc. Location is Ford City, Illinois.
A six car train is depicted here heading north in the Harvey area. Trailer cars were always on the north end of the train. The first car on the north end of the train was almost always designated a smoking car. This car was always popular during the era that these cars were in operation and the white ceilings assumed a brown color.
A four-car Blue Island Express on the branch that ends at 127th Street, near lthe Vermont Street Rock Island station. These cars provided dependable transportation through the often brutal Chicago winters and seemed little affected regardless of conditions.
A southbound four-car train is on the Matteson-Richton line approaching Riverdale, the first stop out of the city limits. The tracks shown here are temporary to allow for bridge reconstruction.
View of Randolph Street station shortly after relocation into the basement of the Prudential Building. There is already plenty of trash thrown out of the open windows from the trains.
The spartan interiors of all of the 1926 era suburban fleet, be it a trailer or motor car, were identical, with incandescent lights and flip-over cane seats. (These seats were notorious for tearing up ladies nylon hosery). Obviously, none of the cars were ever air-conditioned, but provided a great ride for rail buffs. All smoking cars were on the north end of the train.
A Blue Island train is shown crossing the PRR Panhandle tracks at West Pullman. This photo dates before the days of Penn Central and Conrail. Nothing in this photo is there today, other than the single track electric line, which is now operated by Metra. Even it's future may be in jeopardy down the road.
8 - 13
Copyright © 2021 by Illinois Central Railroad Heritage Society