E6 4001 heading on the southbound main at Matteson, Illinois. Based on the extra flags on the engine and the brand new appearance of the entire train, this is probably a posed publicity shot before the train was placed in revenue service.
Built in November, 1941 by the Electro Motive Corp, these four E-6 models were built for the “PL” and had the train name upon them. They initially were assigned to this train, but in subsequent years would be assigned to any and all passenger trains throughout the IC system.
IC 4037, an EMD E-9 product of 1954, is being serviced at the 27th roundhouse in Chicago. This facility was called "Home of the Streamliners" by the IC, and advertised as such with a large sign in view of passing commuters on suburban trains. When ready for another run, diesel motive power backed down to Central Station at 12th Street.
The Illinois Central utilized this painting for its 1947 promotional calendar showing the “Panama Limited” passing a plantation and a freight train in Mississippi. Views from this era were colorful and depicted local industry, in this case cotton crops that were shipped on IC freight trains. We recognize that this view would be deemed socially insensitive by today's values and is shown for historic purposes only.
A frequently utilized IC publicity shot of the City of Miami. This scene was also made into a postcard to promote the train.
The southbound “Governor’s Special” is seen passing Starnes Tower on the north side of Springfield, IL in the summer of 1968.
Train 21, “Green Diamond” is arriving in St. Louis and will soon pull past Union Station and back into the terminal. Note the head car which is a Missouri Pacific economy storage car of mail. Summer, 1964. John Morris photo.
IC 4028. First Section of Train 1 “City of New Orleans” consists of mostly heavyweight cars and will operate from Chicago to Memphis. Summer, 1968. A John Morris photo.
IC 4001. Still going strong, the 4001 is seen at Chicago’s 27th Street Roundhouse. This locomotive, and sister 4003, had a long career until April 1971, just a few months short of 30 years’ service.
The power has just cut off train 10 “Seminole” at Central Station and will proceed to 27th Street Round house. The CoG had two E-8 locomotives, 811 and 812, which were painted in IC livery for use on the “Seminole” in a joint rotation of power between Chicago to Columbus, GA. In later years, these CoG units were not used exclusively on this train and could even be found on the Iowa line trains and as far south as Memphis.
The City of New Orleans is northbound near Makanda, IL in July, 1963. While the Champaign District had 100 mph territory, the terrain south of Carbondale had many restricted curves and few tangents in this area.
The "Panama Limited" is northbound flying through Monee, IL and will be in Chicago in about an hour. Here is the original 1942 streamliner in its All Pullman glory.
The southbound "City of New Orleans" has just crashed over the Baltimore & Ohio diamonds at Odin, IL in July, 1968. Next stop, Centralia. George Hamlin Photo.
IC #2037, E9A, ex Florida East Coast #1032, taken at the east side of 27th Street Roundhouse on June 11, 1969. (J. David Ingles photo, Jack Ferry collection).
Parlor OBS 3310 is seen on the “Daylight” northbound at Kankakee, IL Note the top light is actually a white headlight and used on the back-up move to access the station at Springfield. The “Daylight” made a morning departure from Chicago to St. Louis and returned from St. Louis in the afternoon. The train was discontinued in 1958.
IC 4041 is seen on the “Shawnee”, leaving Gilman, IL on a Chicago to Carbondale, IL corridor train in August, 1969.
14 - 16
Copyright © 2021 by Illinois Central Railroad Heritage Society